|"Welcome Back, Carter!"|
|Season 2, Episode 1|
|Air date||September 21, 1995|
|Written by||John Wells|
|Directed by||Mimi Leder|
| ← previous|
Everything Old Is New Again
| next →|
"Welcome Back, Carter!" is a first episode of the second season of ER. The episode aired on NBC on September 21, 1995. It was written by John Wells and directed by Mimi Leder. It has John Carter arriving late and Peter Benton isn't thrilled about it while Mark Greene has to find two doctors to pick as the Chief Resident of the ER, which includes Dr. Kerry Weaver. Laura Innes made her first appearance as Dr. Weaver.
Carter arrives late and faces Benton's wrath for it. Mark learns how the attending does his job. Mark also has two choices to select as Chief Resident, including strict and uncompromising Kerry Weaver, who doesn't win wide approval of the ER staff, including Susan and Doug. The ER staff treats victims that we're involved in a gang shootout.
Short summary Edit
The ER is busy with victims of a gang shootout while Carter is late because he's just back from a holiday and stuck in traffic. When he arrives, he can't answer Benton's medical questions, who was already annoyed with Carter because he was late. Mark has his first staff meeting, a new group of third year medical students arrives and Kerry Weaver is made the new chief resident. Meanwhile, the air conditioning doesn't work.
To be added.
- John Carter
- Mark Greene
- Peter Benton
- Susan Lewis
- Doug Ross
- Carol Hathaway
- Kerry Weaver (First appearance)
- This episode marks the first appearance of Laura Innes as Dr. Kerry Weaver, who would guest-star regularly throughout the season and join the main cast in the Season 3 premiere "Doctor Carter, I Presume."
- This episode also marks the first appearance of Ron Eldard as Paramedic Ray "Shep" Shepard (who would be a recurring character throughout the 2nd season).
- Penny Fuller (Mrs. Constantine) was nominated for an Emmy Award for "Outstanding Guest Actress" for her work in this episode.
- Dr. Morgenstern left in Season 1 for a job in Boston and was replaced by Dr. Swift. In this episode, Morgenstern returns as if he never left & it's not explained why until the next episode "Summer Run."
- Carter tells Benton that his arrival at the hospital was delayed by Hurricane Phyllis. There never has been a hurricane named Phyllis. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) uses a rotating list of storm names over a six-year cycle and "Phyllis" has never been on any of their lists.
- [During a trauma involving a burn victim]
- Malik: Kinda smells like a barbecue in here.
- Carter: Oh, God. (passes out on the floor)
- Malik: Ha, ha, ha! Welcome back, Carter!
- Mark (to Doug): You did some of your residency with Kerry Weaver?
- Doug: Yeah. When we crossed paths.
- Mark: Morgenstern wants me to consider her for chief.
- Doug: Really?
- Mark: That bad?
- Doug: Did you ever see "Cuckoo's Nest"?
- Benton: What do you know about the arteries in the neck?
- Carter: Uh, there's a lot of them?