Welcome Back Carter! is the first episode of the second season of the NBC medical drama series ER. It premiered on September 21, 1995.
|"Welcome Back, Carter!"|
| Season 2, Episode 1
|Air date||September 21, 1995|
|US viewers||37.5 M|
|Written by||John Wells|
|Directed by||Mimi Leder|
| ← Previous|
Everything Old Is New Again
| Next →|
The ER treats victims of a gang shootout. Carter arrives late and unprepared for his new position. Mark learns all about being an attending, including senior staff's habit of bad-mouthing the residents, particularly Doug Ross . Mark hires a new Chief Resident, Kerry Weaver . Third year med students arrive to complete their ER rotation.
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER: Carter arrives two-hours late to his new surgical sub-internship with Benton. Later, he is introduced to an attractive new med student, Harper Tracy (Christine Elise).
Jeanie and Benton become intimately involved. One of Greene's first and most unpopular decisions as attending physician is naming Dr. Kerry Weaver (Laura Innes) as Chief Resident.
Hathaway starts a paramedic rotation and is partnered with Shep (Ron Eldard).
Cast and Characters
Amy Aquino as Dr. Janet Coburn
Mary Mara as Loretta Sweet
Carlos Gomez as Raul
Ellen Crawford as Lydia Wright
Conni Marie Brazelton as Conni Oligario
Lily Mariye as Lily Jarvik
Vanessa Marquez as Wendy Goldman
Ron Eldard as Shep
Kathleen Wilhoite as Chloe Lewis
Emily Wagner as Pickman
Christine Elise McCarthy as Harper Tracy
Deezer D as Malik McGrath
- Morgenstern left in Season 1 for a job in Boston, and was replaced by Dr. Swift. In this episode, Morgenstern is back, as if he never left. His return is not explained until the next episode, "Summer Run ."
- This episode marks the first appearance of Ron Eldard as Paramedic Ray "Shep" Shepard, a character that would recur throughout the season.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Laura Innes as Dr. Kerry Weaver . She would guest star regularly throughout the season, and join the main cast in the Season 3 premiere, "Dr. Carter, I Presume ."
- Both Carol and Malik say "Welcome Back, Carter!" in this episode. This is one of several times an episode title is incorporated into the show's dialogue.
- Penny Fuller (Mrs. Constantine) was nominated for an Emmy Award in the Outstanding Guest Actress category for her work in this episode.
- The episode title is a play on Welcome Back, Kotter, a 1970s television series starring Gabe Kaplan and John Travolta.
- [During a trauma involving a burn victim]
- Malik: Kinda smells like a barbecue in here.
- Carter: Oh, God. (passes out on the floor)
- Malik: Ha, ha, ha! Welcome back, Carter!
- Mark (to Doug): You did some of your residency with Kerry Weaver?
- Doug: Yeah. When we crossed paths.
- Mark: Morgenstern wants me to consider her for chief.
- Doug: Really?
- Mark: That bad?
- Doug: Did you ever see "Cuckoo's Nest"?
- Benton: What do you know about the arteries in the neck?
- Carter: Uh, there's a lot of them?
- "Nielsen Ratings: September-November 1995 " (PDF). USA Today. (May 22, 2015).