|"The Secret Sharer"|
|Season 2, Episode 8|
|Air date||November 16, 1995|
|Written by||Paul Manning|
|Directed by||Thomas Schlamme|
| ← previous|
"Hell and High Water"
| next →|
The Secret Sharer is the 8th episode of the second season of "E.R."
Doug's heroics earn him a second chance as Bernstein and Morgenstern ask him to stay on. He and Mark clash when each treats a seriously injured patient and want to use the same equipment.
Benton learns that Jeanie has separated from Al. After missing an earlier diagnosis, Carter overcompensates on his next patient and catches a break when the test results reveal something.
Shep gets on Carol's bad side when he makes disparaging remarks about people with botched suicide attempts.
Doug gets a phone call from his estranged father. Later, he shows up drunk for his own awards ceremony, threatening an obnoxious speech, but he reconsiders and recovers nicely.
Short summary Edit
Doug gets the opportunity to stay at the ER thanks to the publicity surrounding his rescue of a drowning boy last week. He will even be given an award. Later, Doug and Mark have a disagreement about two patients and Mark sends Doug home. Shep finds out about Carol's suicide attempt a year earlier and Carter tells Benton something about Jeanie he didn't know. Susan is still looking for a babysitter when she gets a lovely old woman who's good with children as a patient.
- Anthony Edwards as Mark Greene
- George Clooney as Doug Ross
- Sherry Stringfield as Susan Lewis
- Noah Wyle as John Carter
- Julianna Margulies as Carol Hathaway
- Gloria Reuben as Jeanie Boulet
- Eriq La Salle as Peter Benton
- Mark (to Doug): So you can't take the fact that I'm your boss?
- Doug: Typically narcissistic of you, Mark. I can't take the fact that anyone's my boss.
- Shep: Pills are for people that don't really mean it.
- Carol: I really meant it.
- Shep: Yeah, right...