|"Next of Kin"|
|Season 9, Episode 9|
|Air date||December 5, 2002|
|Written by||Dee Johnson|
|Directed by||Paul McCrane|
| ← Previous|
| Next →|
Next of Kin is the 9th episode of the 9th season of "E.R."
Abby races to stop Maggie from taking manic-depressive Eric out of treatment; Kovač hits a new low when he accepts a $10,000 tip from an elderly woman for his medical services.
Meanwhile, an abandoned baby dredges up painful memories for Chen, Pratt goes to bat for Leon after he is fired for allegedly stealing from his job; a father's death leads to a revelation about his son and Lewis helps a woman who's being beaten up by her son.
WILL ABBY GET DRAGGED THROUGH THE MUD IN FAMILY TUG-OF-WAR? OSCAR WINNER SALLY FIELD RETURNS TO GUEST-STAR:
Abby (Maura Tierney) is heartbroken when her troubled mother (Oscar-winning guest star Sally Field, "Norma Rae") interferes with the treatment of her bipolar brother (guest star Thomas Everett Scott, "Philly") at a psychiatric hospital while Dr. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) treats a frightened young girl (guest star Megan Ryan Vint) who is injured in an auto accident and tries to hides a terrible secret.
Elsewhere, a dissolute Dr. Kovac (Goran Visnjic) forms an unlikely bond with a lonely elderly woman (guest star Mary Carver) who offers him a tidy "tip".
Dr. Chen (Ming-Na) is flooded with teary memories when a baby is abandoned inside the E.R. and Pratt takes matters into his own hands when his luckless brother Leon (guest star Marcello Thedford) is fired from his menial job.
Noah Wyle, Alex Kingston, Sherry Stringfield and Sharif Atkins also star. TV-14
- "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5
- Gallant: Dr. Lewis...
- Susan: I used to think that would be so cool to hear: "Dr. Lewis."
- Abby: [to Eric] You can't do this by yourself! You need structure and stability.
- Eric: Let go.
- Abby: Someone you can rely on and trust!
- Eric: That's not you anymore, okay? You don't understand.
- Abby: Yes, I do!
- Eric: You think you do, but you don't. You're not like us! You never will be.
- Susan: [to Luka] You're late.
- Luka: Blame my alarm clock.
- Susan: What's her name?
- Susan: (to Carter) If I was stuck on a train with my family... Well, bad example. I'd throw myself on the tracks.
- Abby: [to Carter about her family] I'm done. I'm done with the both of them. I'm done with all of it. Cancel Christmas.