|Season 10, Episode 10|
|Air date||December 11, 2003|
|Written by||John Wells|
|Directed by||Christopher Chulack|
| ← Previous|
| Next →|
"Touch and Go"
Makemba is the 10th episode of the 10th season of "E.R."
Carter has been in the Congo for the last seven months where he has developed a relationship with Makemba "Kem" Likasu, an AIDS-clinic worker who is six weeks pregnant with his child.
Carter needs to return to Chicago to take care of his grandmother's estate and he talks Kem into going with him to have the baby in the United States.
CHRISTMAS IN THE CONGO HAS CARTER FINDING LOVE AND HOPE; THANDIE NEWTON GUEST-STARS: On Christmas Eve, a chilled emergency room staff do their best to observe the holiday while a crusading Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) does the same half a world away in a run-down Congolese medical clinic as recent flashbacks reveal his clashes with Makemba (guest star Thandie Newton, "Mission: Impossible 2"), a beautiful native AIDS worker over the meager resources and they slowly fall in love.
As Carter re-adjusts to the heat, filth and dangers of the region, he keeps in touch with his Chicago friends and embarks on a personal mission to save a pregnant mother who is dying of AIDS, he is confronted by anti-Americanism from his French comrades.
Even so, Carter is determined to bring the joy and love of Christmas to the local children of Kisingani.
Laura Innes, Goran Visnjic, Maura Tierney, Sherry Stringfield, Sharif Atkins, Mekhi Phifer, Parminder Nagra and Linda Cardellini also star. Emmy Award-winning series executive producer John Wells wrote the episode
- Although in the opening credits, Sherry Stringfield and Ming-Na do not appear in this episode.
- The flag on Abby's hat is Norwegian.
- Along with the Season 9 finale "Kisangani" and the Season 10 episode "The Lost," Hawaii doubled as a location shoot for this Congo-based episode.
- Abby (about Kerry): Where is she going?
- Frank: Home, to wait for the ghost of Christmas past to show up.
- (As Carter reads a Christmas card from the ER)
- Carter: Oh my God! Dr. Romano died.
- Kem: Was he a friend?
- Carter: Umm, no. No, not really.