|"Death and Taxes"|
|Season 10, Episode 7|
|Air date||November 13, 2003|
|Written by||Dee Johnson|
|Directed by||Felix Enriquez Alcala|
| ← previous|
"The Greater Good"
| next →|
Death and Taxes is the 7th episode of 10th season of "E.R."
Lewis has a rough day: Chuck proposes having kids with her, she misses an appointment with an auditor, and Ben Hollander commits suicide.
Pratt receives an unfavorable review from Romano and also treats a con who was raped in prison.
During her ER rotation, Abby agrees to study with Neela. Gallant makes a decision that results in the death of a young girl with leukemia.
Sam's son Alex spends the day in the ER, following Luka around for most of it, ending with Luka X-raying his head.
Chen gets a call from the Chinese embassy and heads for a plane as her vacationing parents were in an accident.
Sam unscrews Romano's hand and Lewis locks it up for the rest of the shift.
- Romano: (to Susan) Pratt is a rabid dog that needs to be taken outside and shot before he infects the rest of the staff.
- Pratt (to Morris): Hey. What the hell you doing here?
- Morris: Working.
- Pratt: I thought you quit.
- Morris: Oh, my dad wouldn't let me. Said he'd pull the money plug if I didn't see this thing through.
- Pratt: This thing, meaning a career in medicine?
- Morris: Yeah.
- Romano: (to Abby) Ah, the Helen Keller of County. I hear you missed a skull fracture today. Keep it up, you'll be back to code browns in no time.
- [After Romano's prosthetic arm grabs Sam's butt, Sam removes it from him]
- Susan: What are you doing?
- Sam: He just grabbed my ass! Here, take this to church and have it exorcised. (hands Susan the hand and walks away)
- Romano: That's right, you keep walking! Right up to the nursing director's office 'cause by the time you get there, there'll be a pink slip waiting for you.
- Sam: Good! Give me plenty of time to file my sexual harassment lawsuit!
- Romano: (to Susan) Do you mind?
- Susan: Yes, I do. You can have it back by the end of the day if you learn to behave!
- Romano: Give me my damned hand back!
- Romano (to Susan): Time's up, where's my hand?
- Susan: It's in the women's bathroom in the tampon machine. Get it yourself.
- Pratt: Dr. Romano, you got a minute?
- Romano: I've got ten patients of my own and six med students I'm avoiding like the plague. You think it looks like I have a minute?
- Pratt: I need you to do a rape kit.
- Romano: I didn't see anything on the board.
- Pratt: Came in with a knife wound, he didn't tell us at first.
- Romano: 'He'?
- Pratt: The prisoner you gave me earlier? He has some rectal bleeding.
- Romano: Oh. Well, you go ahead. I'll sign off on it.
- Pratt: No. Per legal, an Attending's supposed to do all rape exams.
- Romano: It'll be our little secret.
- Pratt: Hey, wait a minute! Wait a minute! You're always all over me for this, that and the other protocol, and now you want me to do a procedure which requires me...
- Romano: What, are you all of a sudden, Mr. By the Book? This is not a stretch for you, Pratt. Just do it. Break the rules, you're good at it.
- Luka: (About Mr. Persky's perforated appendix) He was given discharge instructions and came back as directed. The system worked.
- Corday: Oh, for you, maybe, but he'll be subjected to a riskier surgery and I'll miss dinner with my daughter. Score one for your bloody mission.