|Season 10, Episode 20|
|Air date||April 29, 2004|
|Written by||David Zabel|
|Directed by||Jonathan Kaplan|
| ← Previous|
"Just A Touch"
| Next →|
Abby Normal is the 20th episode of the 10th season of "E.R."
Still on her psych rotation, Abby treats a young mom having seizures caused by bad memories of losing a child eight years earlier. She later re-takes her board exams.
A grieving Kerry considers leaving town with Henry. Neela saves the life of one of her fellow researchers.
Kem returns to Chicago just in time for a Carter Foundation board meeting. Much to the chagrin of his father and other board members, Carter announces that the foundation's focus will be switching from arts and entertainment to medicine.
DR. WEAVER MAY LOSE BABY WHILE DR. CARTER MAKES WAVES IN FAMILY FORTUNE; THANDIE NEWTON RETURNS TO GUEST-STAR: A panic-stricken Dr. Weaver (Laura Innes) faces a life-defining moment when she is ordered to give up her son to the Lopez family while Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) greets a returning Kem (guest star Thandie Newton, "Mission: Impossible 2"), but their meeting with his father (guest star Michael Gross, "Family Ties") is tense after Carter anounces plans for his grandmother's estate.
Elsewhere, Abby (Maura Tierney) is in the midst of her psychiatric rotation and tries to help a seizure-prone mother (guest star Julianne Nicholson) with a controversial drug treatment.
Meanwhile, Neela (Parminder Nagra) impresses everyone with her lab research, especially when she helps one of the reckless students (guest star Archie Kao) after he experiments on himself.
In addition, Dr. Kovac's (Goran Visnjic) relationship with Sam (Linda Cardellini) and her son Alex (guest star Oliver Davis) grows awkward when Alex' father returns. Alex Kingston, Ming-Na and Mekhi Phifer also star.
- Although in the opening credits, Sherry Stringfield does not appear in this episode.
- Jack (to Carter): Milicent dies, you run off half way around the world. Disappears for months. Only to come back like some sort of avenging angel with a pregnant African girl in tow.
- Carter: Her name is Kem.
- Jack: Are you back using drugs?
- Abby (to Jordan as she tries to get her to trust her): This is not about me.
- Jordan: You want me to tell you things, to trust you, but you don't have to say anything? Is that fair? Don't you trust me?
- Abby: OK. I can't follow through.
- Jordan: On what?
- Abby: On anything. Once something gets in my way, it's like a chemical reaction. I just shut down and I give up. I'm just looking for an excuse to stop, because in the end, it's easier to do that than to risk being hurt and disappointed again.
- Jordan: You mean with men?
- Abby: Men, my career, my family. Pick your poison.
- Dr. Nelson (to Abby): The perception of a psychiatrist, bed-side manner of an ER doc and the empathetic eyes of an overworked nurse.
- Abby: Oh yeah, I'm the whole package. All I have to do is actually pass my boards.