|"A Shot in the Dark"|
|Season 11, Episode 8|
|Air date||December 2, 2004|
|Written by||Joe Sachs|
|Directed by||Jonathan Kaplan|
| ← Previous|
"White Guy, Dark Hair"
| Next →|
"Twas the Night"
A Shot in the Dark is the 8th episode of the 11th season of "E.R."
The 15-year-old son of a seriously wounded policeman is given the authority to decide the course of his father's treatment and he turns to Ray for advice.
Carter accompanies Wendall rock climbing. Luka begins to take a more active role in Alex's life after he's suspended for bringing a copy of Maxim Magazine to school.
An exhausted Chen returns to work where Pratt finds her stealing potassium.
WHEN A POLICE OFFICER IS GUNNED DOWN BY FRIENDLY FIRE, HIS CHILD MUST MAKE LIFE- ALTERING DECISIONS: When a police officer shot during a robbery is brought to the ER, Lewis (Sherry Stringfield), Neela (Parminder Nagra) and Ray (Shane West) stabilize him, but the injuries to his carotid artery leave him in a coma. His fifteen-year-old son must decide whether to authorize a risky operation which may save his life or leave him in the coma.
Abby (Maura Tierney) tries to convince a girl with appendicitis to have surgery at County General, but her father wants her transferred to Mercy because his father died during surgery at General.
Noah Wyle, Goran Visnjic, Mekhi Phifer, Linda Cardellini and Laura Innes also star.
- Although in the opening credits, Laura Innes does not appear in this episode.
- Neela (to Ray): Screw your gig. Medicine is not a day job!
- Ray: This coming from someone who was making hot dogs three months ago.
- Neela: I was off at 7:00, Abby was off at 7:00, but we were still there taking care of our patients.
- Ray: Know what? We would never leave the hospital if we stuck around tucking in every patient.
- Neela: I'm not talking about every patient. I'm talking about one kid. He trusted you with the most important decision of his life and you left.
- Susan: Oh, this is unbelievable.
- Abby: (walking by) What? Weaver has a boyfriend?
- Abby: Hey, Ray. You forgot something.
- Ray: What, Abby?
- Abby: (shoves a needle in him) Your flu shot.