Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"A Hopeless Wound"|
|Season 9, Episode 5|
|Air date||October 31, 2002|
|Written by||Julie Hebert & Joe Sachs|
|Directed by||Laura Innes|
| ← previous|
"Walk Like A Man"
| next →|
"One Can Only Hope"
A Hopeless Wound is the 5th episode of the 9th season of "E.R."
On a busy Halloween night, Carter and Abby are the only staffers in costume when victims of an apartment building fire pack the ER.
Corday takes on a new med student for a surgical rotation: Paul Nathan, who suffers from Parkinson's disease and decided to pursue medicine after being diagnosed. Despite a difficult first day, both professionally and medically, Nathan makes a difficult diagnosis.
Romano's rehab lags behind his expectations, and he begins to doubt his role in surgery is no longer an option. In a moment of personal weakness, he tries to express his feelings for Corday.
Weaver continues to display erratic behavior, raising staff suspicions about her menopause.
Luka's burgeoning sex addiction worsens, as an affair with Chuny is revealed, and tensions rise when he treats a patient with a perpetual erection.
- The episode is dedicated to Gandhi Bob Arrollo (aka Robert Arrollo). He was the key make-up artist for the series from 1995-2002. He died in October of 2002.
- This episode marks the first guest appearance by Don Cheadle in a four episode story arc. His portrayal of Paul Nathan garnered him an Emmy Award nomination in the "Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series" category.
- Carter: Frank, where's your costume?
- Frank: I don't observe pagan holidays that celebrate devil worship.
- Abby: (taking the candy away from him) Well, this is only for satanists.
- Romano: (to Corday) I know most people don't like me. I don't care. I don't like most people. But I'm good at what I do. I save people's lives, everyday. People who no one else can help. If I can't do that...
- Chuny (to Luka): Labs on your baby. (throws them at him as she walks by)
- Luka: Thank you!
- Abby: Glad to see you've made up!
- Luka: Hey, I'm being professional. She's the one having trouble. I warned her.
- Abby: Warned her about what?
- Luka: Nothing.
- Abby: Oh my God. You are such a jerk!
- Luka: What?
- Abby: You slept with her? That's what this is all about. What's your problem?
- Luka: Ey, one time.
- Abby: One time? One time with Chuny, one time with a patient's mother in radiology.
- Luka: Hey, you never complained!
- Abby: Yeah, I never let it affect my work. You two need to figure this out.
- Luka: So, what do you want me to do?
- Abby: I don't know. Tell her you're sorry. Tell her it was wrong. Just fix it.
- Luka: I'm not gonna kiss her ass.
- Abby: That's how this whole problem started.
- Corday (to Romano): Robert, you're not cleared to do surgery, even on farm animals.